MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich., April 25, 2013 — As PBS’ Frontline shines a spotlight this week on mutual fund fees in its investigation of the retirement planning and mutual fund industries, nonprofit organization BetterInvesting is offering a free webinar tonight to help investors understand the costs associated with mutual funds.
The Frontline special, “The Retirement Gamble,” explores the big business of retirement planning, asserting that fund fees can erode as much as half of an investor’s prospective gains. Tonight, Dennis Genord, BetterInvesting’s director of education and chapter relations, explains how to study a mutual fund’s fees. The class also takes you step by step through BetterInvesting’s mutual fund selection process, as Genord demonstrates how to identify stock mutual funds that will meet your investment portfolio objectives.
Genord’s session, “Making Money With Mutual Funds,” is part of the free All About Mutual Funds series that kicked off April 18. The series is designed to help the more than 90 million Americans who own mutual funds in their retirement and other portfolios understand how funds work and what they need to know about them. Investors of all experience levels can learn about:
- the different types of mutual funds,
- an impartial, third-party approach for evaluating funds,
- identifying key principles for using funds in retirement accounts, and
- guidelines for selecting the best mutual funds.
The April 18 class “Getting Started: An Introduction to Mutual Funds,” is available to registrants as an archived session. The May 2 class will cover exchange-traded funds, and the series concludes May 9 with a session discussing bond funds. During the live sessions, participants can have their questions answered by BetterInvesting’s expert educators.
The featured presenters are:
- Allen Holdsworth, president of the BetterInvesting Volunteer Advisory Board, founding director of the Illowa Buy States Chapter of BetterInvesting and a retired broker/financial planner.
- Christi Powell, a Certified Financial Planner and assistant director and teach of the Heart of Oklahoma Chapter of BetterInvesting.
- Kamie Zaracki, CEO of BetterInvesting, the nation’s largest nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering investors.
- Doug Gerlach, president of ICLUBcentral, a leading provider of stock analysis software and investing tools and Editor-in-Chief of the Mutual Fund Informer mutual fund newsletter.
- Dennis Genord, director of education and chapter development at BetterInvesting, where he heads up the development of its Mutual Fund Analysis Tools and related education programs.
Participation in the series is limited, so any investor interested in learning the essentials about mutual funds is urged to register for the free series today at www2.gotomeeting.com/register/887456986. All sessions will be recorded for viewing up to 60 days after the series ends.
BetterInvesting is a national nonprofit organization that has been empowering individual investors since 1951. Founded in Detroit, the association (formerly known as National Association of Investors Corporation) was borne out of the conviction that anyone can become a successful long-term investor by following commonsense investing practices. BetterInvesting has helped more than 5 million people become better, more informed investors by providing webinars, in-person events, easy-to-use online tools for analyzing stocks and mutual funds, a monthly magazine and a community of volunteers and like-minded investors. For more information about BetterInvesting, visit its website at www.betterinvesting.org or call toll free (877) 275-6242.